This year, students in fifth grade have the opportunity to participate in the IEC Chess Club. The Club is designed to meet the enrichment needs of students and to foster a greater appreciation for the game of chess. In addition, some of the goals of the club include:
- Learning a new game.
- Increasing students strategizing and problem-solving techniques as they relate to Chess.
- Learning how to plan and think ahead.
- Meeting new, like-minded students and players.
- Having fun and competing against others.
- Learning sportsmanship.
- Providing opportunities for students to gain a deeper understanding of the game by teaching it to others.
The Club Advisor is Mr. Frederick. The club will meet throughout the school year at various dates and times.