• Frequently Asked Questions

    Q. How long does it take to become a substitute?
    A. Typically between one and two months. Fingerprinting, physical and board approval are all required. For non instructional, an additional approval by Civil Service is required.
    Q. Is fingerprinting required?  If so, are all candidates required to pay?
    A. Yes.  Professionally certified/licensed staff and substitute teachers are required to pay.
    Q. Do candidates have to be certified to substitute teach?
    A. The District makes every effort to find certified candidates first, however, administration may consider non certified.
    Q. How are new hire pay steps determined?
    A. Generally speaking, everyone begins on step 1.  Exceptions to this rule may be found in applicable contracts.
    Q. When does a new hire become benefit eligible?
    A. As per individual contracts.
    Q. Where do I apply for health benefits?
    A. The District personnel office handles benefit enrollment.
    Q. From whom do I request time off prior to a holiday?
    A. You should obtain Principal approval first, then approval by the Superintendent.
    Q. How do I determine sick time left?
    A. See your paystub or contact your building principal's secretary.
    Q. Do I have to join the retirement plan?
    A. Full time employees are required to join. Part time employees are eligible and encouraged to do so.
    Q. When am I eligible for FMLA?
    A. Upon completing 1,250 hours the previous year and meeting all other eligibility requirements. See policy on FMLA for details.  Contact Personnel Office for further clarification at x7242.
    Q. Where do I go with payroll questions?
    A. District Office Finance Department at x7241.
    Q. As a faculty member, when do I get paid for coursework taken?
    A. Accumulated hours toward salary credit are submitted twice a year, September 1 and February 1.  Payment adjustments to salary are processed at that time.
    Q. Does Lewiston-Porter accept a copy of transcripts, diplomas or certifications?
    A. No, original documents are required in all cases.  Copies are made and originals are returned to the owner.
    Q. Where do we go for work related conflicts?
    A. See problem resolution section in the Human Resources section of the District Website; however, generally speaking, your supervisor should be able to assist.
    Q. Can I change my payroll deductions?
    A. Yes, and you may do so as often as you desire.
    Q. As a non instructional staff member, where do I go for retirement
    information or plan questions?
    A. Go to website: www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/or call ERS at 1-866-805-0990.
    Q. As a faculty member, where do I go for retirement plan information?
    A. Go to website: http://www.nystrs.org or call TRS at 1-800-356-3128
    Q. Who needs to be notified when requesting any types of leaves?
    A. Written requests for leaves are to be submitted to your supervisor first.  Your requests will then be forwarded to Human Resources for approval processing.  Some leaves run concurrent with FMLA.
    Q. Where can I find my position description?
    A. Every position at Lew-Port has a detailed functional position description located under the Human Resources section of the District website.
    The links in this area will let you leave the Lewiston-Porter Central School District site. The appearance of these links does not constitute endorsement by the Lewiston-Porter Central School District of the linked web sites, or the information, products or services contained therein. Lewiston-Porter Central School District does not exercise any control over the information you may find at these locations. Lewiston-Porter Central School District cannot attest to the accuracy or appropriateness of information available at any linked sites. The Lewiston-Porter Central School District is not responsible for contents of any linked pages or any link contained in a linked site or any changes or updates to such sites.