Why are scholarships important?
Scholarships provide opportunity for many students to earn an education. In some cases, without assistance from outside sources, students may have trouble affording the degree that they will need in order to achieve their goals. Scholarships can have a great impact on helping a student to earn their degree and become a contributing member of society. Scholarships can lessen the financial strain many students will face during their years at university, and upon leaving school.
Where does the funding for scholarships come from?
Funding can come from a variety of different sources. School alumni programs, large and small companies, and private donors are just to name a few.
What types of scholarships are available?
Academic: Exceptional performance in academics
Athletic: Exceptional performance in athletics or team leadership
Artistic: Exceptional performance in the arts
Private: Some scholarships will have their own requirements to include things such as:
volunteering, community service, skilled trade, etc.
How much money will a scholarship give me?
It depends on the individual scholarship. Please note, many scholarships will not cover the entire cost of tuition. Most scholarships will have funds allocated for specific portions of curriculum or supplies that the student must pay their school for. We encourage students to apply for as many scholarships as they qualify for. You are not limited to how many scholarships you may apply to, or how many or a certain financial amount you may receive.
Scholarships can play a huge part in lessening the financial burden placed upon students, and often, their parents. Take advantage of our scholarship program, and apply, apply, apply!
New York Credit Union Association’s Scholarship #2
- Open to Seniors who are a member of a participating New York Credit Union.
- Seniors attending a two- or four -year accredited educational institution for the first time in the fall of 2024.
- The Senior agrees to use any scholarship funds awarded by January 31, 2025 at the accredited educational institution.
Application process: MUST BE COMPLETED AND SUBMITTED ONLINE TO THE LINK PROVIDED BY: January 7,2023.
Follow Instructions to complete.
- Complete the scholarship application form. Applicants should use only the space provided on the form to answer the questions.
- The applicant must obtain a credit union verification code from their credit union in order to verify eligibility.
- The application must be submitted with:
- High school transcript (please come to guidance for your unofficial transcript)
- An essay response
- The applicant and parent/guardian must sign the Certification and Release Authorization on the last page of the application form.
- The application, transcripts and essay must be submitted to the New York Credit Union Association by January 5, 2024.
USE THIS LINK TO SUBMIT:
Application process: MUST BE COMPLETED AND SUBMITTED ONLINE TO THE LINK PROVIDED BY: January 5, 2024.
See Applications under "scholarships" tab on Counseling Center website.
DAR Good Citizen Award #1
Due Date: October 18, 2023
Several Award Amount and Recognition Tiers Available
- Open to all senior class students
- Must possess the following qualities:
- Dependability (which includes truthfulness, loyalty, punctuality and being worthy of trust)
- Service (which includes cooperation, courtesy, and contributing to the welfare of others)
- Leadership (which includes personality, self-control, and ability to assume responsibility)
- Patriotism (which includes devotion to and support of one’s country, supporting service members and veterans, working for causes that make one’s community stronger, and appreciating the cultural and historic importance of America’s unique population)
Follow Part I instructions to complete:
*Complete the student cover sheet.
*Complete the following in outline format: a. List high school activities, b. describe briefly how your efforts to serve your community have been effective or have made a difference, c. express your future plans, education and career goals, and aspirations in life, d. list extracurricular activities, e. describe briefly why you feel the four qualities of a DAR Good Citizen are important and how you have tried to exhibit those qualities in your life and in relationship with others. Include 2 Letters of Recommendation and Guidance will attach transcript.
**If selected as the DAR Good Citizen
Part II is a timed essay to be administered under supervision of faculty and must be completed at one sitting, within a 2 hour time limit without assistance or reference materials.
Each contest entry is evaluated by independent, non-DAR judges. The winning entry is advanced through state, divisional, and national levels of judging.
Application process: MUST BE COMPLETED AND RETURNED TO GUIDANCE OFFICE IN GOOD ORDER BY: October 18, 2023
See Applications under "Scholarships" tab on Counseling Center website.